Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Recycle Project

ok I did it!  I turned 8 plastic shopping bags into a gift bag the size to hold one pint canning jar!


I removed all the colored panels from the bags first.  This left me with 8 small colored squares and 8 longer white sheets. I ironed the colored ones first.  Lesson 1, low low low iron setting and slowly move iron around the paper. If you leave it to long the plastic will melt to fast and you will get holes.  Lesson 2, expect a large amount of shrinkage. I started with 8 full bags, and finished with enough of the white to do 4 6x4 sides and a handle.  The colored piece I used a 4x4 for the bottom and will keep the rest for another bag.

This is my prototype, when I make more I will use other colors of plastic and recycled ribbons and such to decorate!  When all done this will be a 98% recycled gift!  The only new things will be the lids for the jars (sanitary reasons of course, and the contents of the jars!) I am very excited about this holiday gift project!!



Wonder what else I can create with this technique! 

No comments:

Post a Comment